Thursday 26 November 2015

Your mission if you choose to eat it...


Operation 'full meal' has been taking place over the last month.

Training required: Learning to cook for 2.5 people rather than two!
Equipment required: Husband to cook his amazing Toad in the Hole and a dishwasher for all the dishes used!

We've been really chuffed with ourselves (husband and I) with operation 'full meal' we discussed which meals G-R could have with us, but that are able to be reheated and frozen. At the moment dinner for G-R is 5.15pm onwards...depending on how tired she gets. So apart from breakfast and lunch its her only solo meal (unless I have a sneaky biscuit whilst she's having her dinner). So meal wise we decided to go with...

  • Toad In the Hole
  • Shepard's Pie
  • Spaghetti Bolognese
  • Salmon fish cakes 

Toad in the hole in mini form worked really well, we've already established G-R is a fan of Yorkshire puddings (thank god because I'd live on them if I could) so it wasn't too much of a risk. She loved them, alongside some veg which we mixed up each time another winner!









Shepard's Pie is my dish, it's actually a mixture of both Shepard's and Cottage Pie...honestly I challenge anyone who makes those dishes to the exact recipe (unless it's Mary Berry, I'm not challenging that lady legend!). Using oven proof ramekins I spooned the mince mixture in and topped with mash potato (made with whole milk). Easy to freeze once cooked and then able to heat up once for meal time. Another winner, she loved that she could squidge the mash in between her fingers...oh to be a baby and not be judged for how messy you get when you eat.


Spaghetti bolognese, G-R has had this before so we know she love it. I love watching her pick up the mince, even the smallest bits.

Salmon fish cakes...I must confess here, I do not eat fish. There were three weeks in Vietnam that I did but that's a different story. Husband however loves fish and is on a mission to make sure G-R loves it too...thus salmon fish cakes. Using a BLW recipe we found for fish cakes we mixed it up a bit by replaced white fish (haddock/cod) with salmon, which worked really well and was easy to freeze.

Now one issue has arisen and it's one that may last for years to come. My husband and I have started the 'oh let's not waste her left overs...we'll eat them!' even if our own dinner is on the way! Dangerous territory for our waist lines, but does reduce food waste.

I also wanted to mix up her lunch time and after spotting a recipe on one of the BLW Instagram ladies I follow we decided to give Sweet Potato Pancakes a go.

Introducing husband Mike...making Sweet Potato Pancakes

Another great meal to freeze and the re-heat or have chilled. G-R loves these, she loves a lot of food but she gets so excited seeing these on her plate and we have to keep an eye that she doesn't stuff too much into her mouth.

Mission 'Operation Full Meal' - Result - A success!


Recently someone asked me if there was anything else we have done differently to others when it comes to parenting. A great question but also made me realise that Baby Led Weaning is still viewed as different, sometimes perhaps with negative thoughts. I really hope my blog and our experience is inspiration to others that although BLW may be viewed as different there is so much to experience with it, our little girl has become a non fussy food lover which is wonderful. Long may it continue!

Thanks for reading

Non Fish Eater Hannah 


No comments:

Post a Comment