Monday 5 October 2015

Greek tragedy or feast? 


Yassoo everyone! Back from a fabulous weeks holiday on a Greek Island. Sun, sea, sand and no having to cook for a week!

With G-R joining the eight months old gang whilst we were away I have to admit I was nervous about what food she would be able to eat. I'll be honest whilst packing and getting bits for the holiday it was the first time I've stopped to look at baby food pouches, but stopped myself and said nope Baby Led Weaning (BLW) is how we've started, and been doing so well so let's keep fingers crossed it will be ok! I did pack her a fair few snacks, just in case (we love the Kiddylicious products).

So off we went...we stayed at a Premier Inn the night before and they offer a really good kids menu, for £4, G-R happily tucked into pasta and green beans with a dough stick on the side. Even at the airport I was chuffed that Boots now sell fruit chunks with no syrups (often they have syrup to keep them fresh) so that was G-R's plane snack sorted.

Once we arrived, I realised it was not only food that was a worry but the sun, drinking mineral water, the amount of people also in the restaurant...would G-R eat anything? Did she? Oh yes...

"Scream if you want to go faster"
After one glance at the kids buffet and it was mostly a smiley face, fried, picky eater friendly set up so we decided G-R would get bits from the adult buffet, the list of foods she tried was amazing...Olives, Pork, Turkey, Mushrooms, omelettes, mango, aubergine, courgette, grapefruit, waffle...and of course her beloved chicken, kiwi, pancakes, bananas, bread, toast with jam. She even had Chicken Gyros...a Greek fav of mine.

I needn't have worried my little head about her and food, as always she proves me wrong and makes me feel like one proud mum (I am tempted to get that on a t-shirt).

We did have to contend with a few new elements such as the fabulous waiting staff coming over to chat to her, this resulted in every meal G-R looking for people to smile at...not as much fun now we are home and just seeing mum and dad...boring! Other babies were a distraction too, but a cute one. It was lovely to see lots of under one's happily tucking into the buffet too, we all seemed to sit in the same area...perhaps to reduce the amount of clearing up!

Overall I would recommend taking an under one on holiday abroad, they adapt so well to new experiences and now that Baby Led Weaning is fully established for G-R food isn't an issue, she is far from fussy. Our next step is to really embrace G-R eating our meals, so tomorrow is pre-preparing lots of meals and reducing the amount of separate meals we do seem to have (this is probably considered true BLW...as I've said before I'm not expert, simply sharing our experience).

I look forward to updating you all on how 'Operation Full Meal' goes!

Take Care All

Hannah xx.                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment