Monday 29 February 2016

Daddy Led Weaning - guest blogger

Hi All, 

After a busy few months I'm sorry to say blogging has taken a back seat, so to take the pressure off (not really pressure, I love blogging) my wonderful husband has stepped in to write as our first 'guest blogger'....


When Hannah asked me if I fancied being a ‘guest blogger’, I thought to myself ‘how hard can it be’, after all I’m writing about food (which is one of my favourite subjects). In reality, it’s a whole different ball game and not anywhere near as easy as it may look. Anyway, here it goes…

I thought I’d give my take, as a Dad, on Baby Led Weaning (BLW) plus an insight in to some of G-R’s recent escapades. I must say when Hannah first floated the idea I was unsure, like many I didn’t know what BLW was. But, Hannah explained it to me, I read up on it a bit and then thought why not give it a go? What’s the worst that can happen? G-R’s not interested and we revert to feeding her using baby food? Well that’s been done for generations and has produced millions of happy and healthy babies. So BLW was hardly a risk!   

I did think in some ways that I would miss out on directly interacting with G-R on a 1:1 basis. She was breastfed before, so my interaction with her at meals times was definitely at a minimum! So when food was introduced, I was pleasantly surprised. I help prepare her meals, I can sit with her, talk to her and watch her enjoy her meals. In fact, she regularly offers me some of her food, which is a good thing as she’s not gone down the Joey Tribbiani route of ‘not sharing food’.  

I’ve been surprised in a lot of ways by the success we’ve had with BLW. G-R’s basically eaten everything we’ve put in front of her. When we were at Centre Parcs recently we went to the curry house, G-R of course had her own meal. First up poppadoms, with some of our onion bhajis. She dived straight in and before we knew it the food had gone! Now, here’s something I’d never thought about, 1 year old’s don’t understand the concept of starters and main courses! Her meals all come on tap and pretty much in a single course, not with a 10-15 minute gap in between! Needless to say she looked at us like we’d stolen her favourite toy and was clearly thinking ‘Seriously, is that all I’m getting?’. So we had to keep her going with entertainment and a little snack in between courses!


Long story short, once the main come she was in her element! She scoffed her whole mild curry down, rice and a bit of naan down in a manner that the cookie monster would have been proud of!

We decided a while back that we would save the joys of cake and chocolate until G-R was one. So true to our word, at her 1st birthday/Christening party we presented her with a decent size slice of moist chocolate cake. Let’s just say she takes after her mother (who asks for the dessert menu on arrival at restaurants), blink and you missed it, the cake literally evaporated before our eyes!

 Needless to say, I’m proud of G-R and how amazing she has been with food. Of course we will hit a phase in the future when she starts rejecting some foods, but until then, she will continue eating more types of food than her Mum.

The next challenge is to try and get G-R to use cutlery, not just to flick food around the room, but also to shovel some of the food from her plate in to her mouth. I’m sure it’s going to be a lot of fun, but also messy (our cats will be hovering to try and take advantage of this!). The vanish is very much on standby (in a true BBC fashion, other cleaning product are available).


Thanks All

Mike  

No comments:

Post a Comment