Sunday 2 August 2015

Baby Lead Weaning, blogging why? 

On Friday my daughter, Georgia-Rose (known in the blog as G-R) hit the big six months old mark. What a mark to reach, full of so many "she is ready for..." moments. Time to go in her own cot, first hair cut now allowed, no need to sterilise everything and the big one...food time!

We've been a bit of a lucky dream team so far, breastfeeding exclusively and sitting pretty at the 91st percentile (her not me!). As six months approached and two front teeth appeared alongside the 'I want to put EVERYTHING in my mouth game' I knew our decision to steer towards Baby Led Weaning (BLW) was a good one, a hopeful one and a fun one.

I first came across the term and approach whilst working for a charity alongside one of the authors of Baby Led Weaning. Although it was quite a while ago now I recall thinking what a great idea, letting the baby go for it perhaps not even having purée food. Now at this point let me please say that we are three days in and by knows means am I an expert nor a preacher about what is right or wrong, let's face it becoming parents is enough of a challenge, a good one of course, without us ganging up or judging each other. So my reasoning to blog is simply to share, to chat (perhaps too much sometimes) and if I'm lucky show how BLW has worked for us. At three days in I can't say it has yet...

So let's begin!

What did I buy or do to prepare?

Attend classes...my NCT ladies and I arranged a private session on weaning and I then had two (a
repeat) sessions at my local Children's Centre. This helped make that decision about going towards
BLW rather than purée etc.  I'd recommend looking up sessions at your local Children's Centre or
through NCT as it's a great place to hear recommendations and ask questions, I really valued that as well as talking to family and friends.

I'm such a list person, I'd been building up my BLW needs for a while. This included...

  • A high chair
  • An under high chair mat
  • Beaker for water
  • A microwave steamer
  • Some bibs (long sleeved and no sleeves)
  • High chair antibacterial wipes
  • Baby wipes
  • Food! 
Now that list is by no means a bible but for me to feel like I was fully ready (sorry as ready as I could be with a cheeky six month old) that was what I needed to get.

Day 1 - Banana & Water




Why banana for G-R's first ever food? No idea...we just liked the thought of it! I'd researched (good old Pinterest) the best way to cut the banana for BLW and keeping the skin
on partly allows baby to hold but also push out, a bit like a Calipo ice lolly, the banana.

My clever little girl grabbed it and put it straight in her mouth, food ready...I think so! The faces she was pulling were some of her best. Overall success, I'm sure she won't mind
me sharing that the next day her nappy told us that she had eaten some so a great first meal! Not always a guarantee with BLW

Day 1 also bought with it water for the first time and also the first of the many beakers we are going to try. Tommee Tippee one not so fab, water everywhere and not in her mouth. Day 2 I bought a new cup!

Day 2 - Carrots




So my name is Hannah and I confess I've never steamed vegetables before...how is this possible? So having got the husband (who had also never done it) to Google 'how to use a microwave steriliser' we embarked on our second food of carrots!

Although G-R again grabbed with ease, eating was not so easy on this one. A new tactic of daddy also eating a carrot helped and straight in the mouth with nice chunks being moved around her mouth. These little chunks also triggered the first 'gag'. Through the NCT session we were sent a you tube clip that showed a baby gagging, this helped knowing it was a natural reaction and to not automatically assume she was chocking.

Water, having bought a new beaker, another Tommee Tippee but with a straw for 6months plus and non spill we tried again. No joy, so my husband tried giving her some without the lid...success! So I shall be purchasing a Doidy Cup to help this.

Day 3 - Cucumber




Taking off the edge of cucumber although practical did make Day 3 a tough one. G-R struggled to pick up the slippery vegetable so we did intervene by handing her bits. Once she had hold she gripped on and using those two front teeth again took some nice chunks, and today we saw her chewing. The look of concentration was fantastic, however we didn't last that long with food time as grumpy tired baby girl took over from curious eating girl.

Water again by beaker without the lid...G-R also used this exact moment to do her blowing bubbles mouth movement, creating a nice waterfall down her bib.



Day 4 and beyond will bring challenges, mainly practical ones. Day 1-3 has fallen over the weekend so more flexibility and having the husband here too! This week we're off out and about so adding G-R food time into the mix will be interesting!

Hope you've enjoyed the read, see you next week

Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment